Monday, November 30, 2009

Thanksgiving, Take One

For John and me, Thanksgiving comes in waves. This is our first Thanksgiving wave. :)

The Taylor Thanksgiving is one of my favorite days of the year. Patti and Jim graciously let the Taylor clam swarm upon their house for turkey and ham and all the fixin's. In order to feed all of us, Patti makes enough food to feed a small country.

This year was a special year. John's brother Frank and his family were down from Minnesota for a visit. We've seen Frank and Paula twice this year now...that just doesn't happen too often. It was a great time!

The Taylor Thanksgiving usually goes something like this:
1. Eat. A lot. Too much.
2. Sit around, watching TV, using toothpicks to keep your eyeballs open.
3. If you haven't gone into a Thanksgiving coma, you go to the movies. This year's movie was "The Blind Side." I heard it was great. My two heathen spawn did not allow me to go to the movies this year. Maybe I'll get to see it when it comes out on TBS....in 3 years.
4. Come back to Patti and Jim's house to eat more food, scour the newspaper ads, get Christmas lists from everyone, and gear up for Black Friday shopping. I would have loved to stay for it, but by then we were in "Meltdown: Red Alert" status, and screaming children do not make for good holiday fun.
5. Get up very early for Black Friday shopping fun! Once more, I didn't get to participate. Sloane's motto of "I'll sleep when I'm dead" is getting old. Waaaay old.

Even though the kids were grumpy messes, John and I had much to be thankful for this year. Our two munchkins are blessings. Our two babies in heaven are bright shining stars in the sky, who look down over us and protect us. Our family is all happy and healthy. We have a roof over our heads, and food on our table. There is love in our hearts. I couldn't ask for more! Well...except maybe for more sleep. That'd be great.



Johnny posing with one of two turkeys consumed that day. Mmmm.
A small sampling of the Taylor Thanksgiving spread. We don't mess around.

Miss Sloane on her first Thankgiving. She loved Aunt Patti's sweet potatoes.


I see a future for Sam in the hotel industry as a doorman. He likes doors. A lot.



Grandma Lolly and Michelle

Paula and Dr. Michelle. :)

Me and Kathy on clean up duty. I'll gladly wash dishes if it means Thanksgiving is at someone else's house!
A small sampling of the Taylor army watching TV.

Miss Sloane couldn't escape the grasp of her Uncle Dave!













No comments:

Post a Comment