I was asked this question recently...and I didn't know how to respond. What do you mean "what kind of mom am I?" The person asking was looking for a neat little category to put me in, like "Earth Mom" or "Martini Drinking, Pill Popping Boozehound Mom." I started thinking about it, and I guess I'm a little bit of everything wrapped up into one. For instance I am a mom that:
1. Likes to recycle and compost, but Pampers and Similac are my heros.
2. fixes my kids healthy, nutritious foods 99% of the time, but also makes special trips to McDonalds for going #2 on the potty. And I hide Oreos.
3. thinks it's hilarious when my 3 year old's favorite song is "Blame it on the al-al-al-al-al-alcohol"
4. vaccinates my kids, but asks "is it really necessary" to give antibiotics.
5. loves babyGap but LOVES bargain garage-sale finds on kids clothes.
6. has zero problems with evening play dates also being evening adult social hour.
7. is appreciative of my role as a stay home mom, but totally jealous of my workin' moms out there kickin' ass and taking names.
So, what is this? Somebody tell me, so I can alert the gaggles of people who ask me what I am everyday. Right now, I just tell them "an awesome mom." Because even though we all do something differently, if raising healthy, well adjusted kids is your goal, then what is there to worry about?