Tuesday, April 6, 2010

My Boy Wants to Potty All The Time--In His Pants, That Is.

Today, in the battle of using the potty, Sam-4, Mama-0.

Sam will be 3 in August, and since he's super excited about preschool, we've been trying to get potty trained. No potty training--no preschool. I've got stickers, I've got chocolate, I've got a DVD/entertainment theater show going on in the bathroom to entice him to sit there. No dice. He sits for a while, plays, gets up, gets a Pull Up, pees his pants. Every. Single. Time. And every single time I say "Good try Sam! Almost that time!"

It is the most frustrating thing in the entire world. I'd rather do quantum physics.

Everyone I've talked to says they have to do it on their own time. Sam likes to do things his way; he's been that way since he was born. Which is why I know he needs some gentle encouragement...because if left up to him, he'll be the kid going to kindergarten with Pampers on. "I mean hey, if I can get someone to clean that all up down there, why bother with the potty?" This is a conversation I'm sure Sam has in his head all day.

I am not so much looking for encouragement, or ideas even ...just a place to say "USE THE DAMN POTTY ALREADY. I KNOW YOU KNOW HOW, QUIT MESSING WITH MAMA." Mama would love to save your portion of the $100 a month I spend on diapers. You know, for my boxed wine habit. :)

In due time, I'm sure. I just wish that time was sooner rather than later.

2 comments:

  1. Boys suck at it, no doubt. On the bright side Sloane is going to come right behind him and potty train herself, no questions asked. Evan took the better part of a year, Emma did it in a couple days...on her own whim. Drink your wine and look forward to that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It took a broken femur to get my at-the-time 3 year old to use the potty.

    I do not in any way recommend this approach.

    I believe it was the reverse psychology of, after several months of us begging and pleading and bribing, telling him it was ok to pee in the diaper that finally flipped some switch. I wish we had tried that part earlier. The telling him to pee in the diaper part, that is...

    ReplyDelete