Monday, April 26, 2010

On marriage...

John and I have weathered many a storm together in our life, starting with the day we got married. Literally, we weathered a storm that day.

Our wedding was set to be an outdoor affair, in the beautiful backyard of our home. Cellists and violinists were to play wedding music, and we were to say our I Do's next to our water garden. Our caterer Andie had mapped out where the buffet and bar would be, the florist gave tips on what would make a beautiful spring bouquet, and the design of each table and area had been planned according to how it mingled with the natural elements of the outdoors. I spent a small fortune on lush flowers and plantings so that spring colors would surround everyone at our intimate gathering. It was going to be perfect.


And then, Mother Nature had other plans. The forecast for our wedding day in 2006 was rain. Lots of rain. Like 115% chance of rain. Having sent out 125 invitations, and seeing as how the entire Taylor & Culver families had flown and driven in to Lawrence for our wedding, we improvised. The weather held out long enough for us to have our pictures, string music and wedding outside, but the rest of the event was moved into our home. It was still a lovely affair, and John and I still had the time of our lives. People still comment to this day that we had one of the most fun weddings they'd ever attended. In the garage of my house during a torrential downpour.


Needless to say, it was not my dream wedding...but how many things in life have ever gone according to the plan you dreamt up? At the end of it, we were still married, and happy. Who knew that our wedding day would be the first in a series of tests for John and I. One down, a life time to go.


So, this week...I look back on the past 4 years of my life. There has been sunshine and there have been dark clouds. But most importantly, through whatever weather Mother Nature has dealt us, John and I have weathered the storm of life together. I couldn't ask for anything more.


Happy Anniversary John. I love you.

1 comment:

  1. Adorable. I wish I'd known you then. I bet that wedding was a blast.

    ReplyDelete